On the surface, radio ratings may appear to be a zero sum game, but after the slicing and dicing of the all-important demographics go down – you know, men, women, age groups, sexual orientation, etc – are factored in, practically anybody can play and everybody is a winner. Or are they?
Most media buyers probably know better though they may be loath to admit it.
So as we await the fast-apporaching death of the Adult Album Alternative (AAA) music format on Alice 102.1 FM – and the possible return of Adult Contemporary (give it up Star 102 refugees) – let us now survey the most recent, lowly 6-plus holiday radio rankings, shall we?
The Holiday 2013 Radio Ratings, Listeners 6 and older for the KC market
1) KFKF FM (Country 94.1) Country 11.4 share
2) KPRS FM (Hot 103 JAMZ) Urban Contemporary 6.9 share
3) KCFX FM (The Fox) Classic Rock 6.6 share
4) WDAF FM (The Wolf) Country 6.4 share
5) KBEQ FM ( Q104) Country 4.9 share
6) KMJK FM (Magic 107.3) Urban AC 4.7 share
6) KQRC FM (The Rock) Rock 4.7 share
7) KMBZ AM & FM News/Talk 4.5 share
8) KJNW FM (Life 88.5) Contemporary Christian 4.4 share
9) KZPT FM (The Point) Hot AC 4.2 share
10) KMXV FM (Mix 93.3) Contemporary Hit Radio 4.0 share
11) KCMO FM (Kansas City’s Greatest Hits) Oldies 3.7 share
11) KRBZ FM (The Buzz) Modern Rock 3.7 share
11) KCHZ FM (The Vibe) Contemporary Hit Radio 3.7 share
12) KCUR FM (89.3 FM Kansas City Public Media) News/Talk 3.0 share
13) KCSP FM – KCSP-HD2 (610 Sports) Sports 2.0 share
13) KCKC FM (Alice 102.1) AAA 2.0 share
14) KCJK FM (Jack FM 105.1) Adult Hits 1.8 share
14) KCMO AM – 103.7 FM (KCMO Talk Radio) News/Talk 1.8 share
15) KANU FM (KPR Kansas Public Radio) Classical .4 share
******* ******* ******* ******* *******
Hey look, obviously there are individual breakdowns that matter tremendously to advertisers and the stations the market to businesses that want to reach the people in the very specific demographics those stations reach.
Equally obviously – to radio insiders, anyway – stations like Sports Radio 810 WHB have some significant ratings and are a major player in the local marketplace.
Just one problem…
The boyz at HB way are too frugal to shell out big bucks to Arbitron, to get the numbers they need to sell off of, so their digits go unreported…except to other ratings subscribers who do get to see what they are and they can either use them to program against WHB or use them to make more informed ad buys.
In any case, these 6-plus rankings are the broadest ratings and thus arguably the most accurate. Because once you start slicing and dicing and breaking down the demos, it can get a little, you know, dicey. In my humble opinion.