Aside from a barrage of mattress sales, what else is this end of summer weekend generally known for?
When it comes to movies it’s the clearing of the shelves. A last ditch effort by the studios to get rid of spring and summer leftovers.
Point in case are these holiday ‘WEAK-end’ titles:
* ‘CLOSED CIRCUIT’—A low grade British crime thriller set against a deadly London terrorist attack. Ex lovers (and defense barristers) Erica Bana and Rebecca Hall now uncovering an M.I. 5 cover up.
* ‘GETAWAY’—Race car driver Ethan Hawke trying to save his kidnapped wife by following instructions from the mysterious voice of Jon Voight who’s watching his every move through cameras mounted on his car.
One of today’s great talents Selena Gomez adds her acting chops to this loser.
* ‘THE GRANDMASTER’—The story of the legendary martial arts master Ip Man who trained Bruce Lee.
But as they say: “There’s MORE!”
* Disney is re-releasing its Pixar Animation summer hit MONSTERS UNIVERSITY for one final shot at the big screen.
* And Paramount gets into reissue mode by DOUBLE FEATURING its two summer blockbusters before they hit video in mid September.
J.J. Abrams’ STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS with Chris Pine is being double billed this holiday weekend with Brad Pitt’s sci-fi hit WORLD WAR Z on many screens throughout the metro.
TWO good movies for the price of just one.
And that’s probably your best bet this Labor Day weekend at the movies.
I rest my case.