First adults, then dudes, but leave us not forget the all-important, sought after women listeners…
Trust me, everybody wants a piece of this action. And don’t take that the wrong way. To that end, let’s look at the Top 10 KC stations in women listeners, 25-54, 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.
For the uninitiated, this is when 90 percent of most station’s revenue is derrived. Where its heaviest hitters slug it out for money, power and glory.
Now hang onto your crucifixes because you may be in store for a huge surprise…
!) K Love 97.3 FM with a 9.3 share. It’s syndicated, it’s Christian, it takes prayer requests and it’s kicking butt!
2) Mix 93.3 FM with a 7.5 share. How many million years ago did gifted program director Jon Zellner bring in a morning show starring Rocket, Teresa & Ponch? My point exactly. Zellner’s long gone to Clear Channel but these Katzenjammers are still going strong.
3) KPRS FM with a 6.7 share. Still black and still proud.
4) KCMO FM with a 6.5 share. Whatever you do, just don’t call ’em "Oldies"
5) Q104 FM (tie) with a 6.1 share. Remember when this station launched with Randy Miller? Randy Who?
5) The Rock 98.9 FM (tie) also with a 6.1 share as well. You know, chicks are headbangers, too!
6) Jack FM (tie) with a 5.7 share. Still mixing and matching, after all these years.
6) The Buzz (tie) also with a 5.7 share. Remember when this station almost bought the farm? And Lazlo and Afentra bailed on KC things were so bleak? No mas!
7) Alice FM with a 5.1 share. Go ask Jack – it’s everything but the kitchen sink. I’m looking at Alice’s last 10 songs ranging from Led Zeppelin to The Cure to the Avett Brothers to John Cougar…you get the picture.
8) The Vibe with a 4.3 share. My 14 year-old, freshmen high school daughters have long since made the switch from Mix to The Vibe. I view it as a Mixed Blessing.
Now let’s see what’s shakin’ with the grrrls in morning drive.
1) Mix 93.3 & The Rock are tied with a 7.9 share. Not sure how much else Johnny Dare and Rocket & Teresa have in common.
2) K-Love with a 7.7 share. The Christians are coming! The Christians are coming! Wait, they’re here!
3) Q104 FM with a 6.8 share (tie). See, there’s this guy named Mike Kennedy who used to work for a guy named Randy…
3) Jack FM with a 6.8 share (tie). Wanna wreak havoc on a marraige? Wear your PPM meter only when listening to Kennedy’s wife Nycki Pace on Jack’s morning show and see what happens.
4) KPRS FM with a 6.5 share. Still a powerhouse but…remember when The Star only reported the meaningless 12-plus, Monday thru Sunday, 6 a.m. to midnight numbers? And KPRS took turns being Numero Uno with 61 Country? Were those ever the daze.
5) KCMO FM with a 5.4 share. It’s really an amazing run. Think about how long Dick Wilson has mattered in KC radio. From KY to now. I mean, who else in this town has seniority – what’s left of Walt Bodine?
6) Alice with a 5.1 share. Think of her as the new kid in school who’d like nothing more than to dump Jack.
7) The Buzz with a 4.9 share. You gotta give it up for a woman the size of host Afentra with the balls to call her own show "fat"
8) KCUR with a 4.2 share. Public radio likes to consider itself above the ratings fray but station management knows better. They too have to attract what passes for advertisers. The $64 million Question: How many of KCUR’s women listeners are Walt Bodine Groupies? Scary, huh?
8) WDAF FM with a 4.2 share. Remember when the call letters WDAF truly meant something in this town? David Lawrence, Charles Gray. And to think, this signal could have gone Contemporary Christian and totally kicked ass.