- You would think the schedulers could figure out a way to not start the Mizzou and K-State games with 20 minutes of each other. The Kansas City market housed the NCAA offices for decades and was home to more Final Fours than any other city. So how about showing us some love and spacing the opening round games for our three area teams over two days in a way we can watch them?
- Not only are the Mizzou and K-State games being played at the same time tonight, they are both tipping off at about 9:00 PM (CT). Since we already lost that hour to DST last weekend, some of us are gonna need to be tased to make it through the second half. Can you imagine what Jack Harry must go through to stay awake past 11:00 PM? He’s probably gonna miss the entire set of afternoon games while he’s napping with Gary Lezak’s dogs down at TV-41’s studios.
- It looks like the experts either love K-State to make it to the Final Four or see them as the perfect 5-12 upset against Utah State. The more I learn about Utah State, the more I fear for the Beard and his buds. They play six seniors and two juniors and have won 30 games. That is a resume no team wants to run into in March. That said, I bought K-State as one of my eight teams in our company NCAA Extravaganza so I am rocking purple this weekend! (But I did pick Utah State in my bracket – gotta have an upset pick here and there ya know.)
- I want to believe that Mike Anderson has built his Tigers for this tournament – as has been evident the past two years. But I lost all hope watching his team disintegrate over the past few weeks. Cincinnati looks like a formidable foe and I’m not sure it would take even a half-assed foe to beat the Mizzou I saw at Sprint Center last week. If Phil Pressey can return to his mid-season form and help Marcus Denmon lead an offensive barrage from the three-point arc, Mizzou could win a couple of games. I have zero faith in Ricardo Ratliffe doing anything but wearing the varnish off the floor. What a disappointment the “Big 12 Newcomer of the Year” has been.
- Kansas is my pick to win it all – despite how average they looked last Thursday against Oklahoma State. I think KU and Ohio State are the surest bets to make the Final Four. My other two picks to make it to Houston are Texas and Pittsburgh. My sleeper Elite 8 team is Xavier and I also like Mark Turgeon to get his A&M Aggies to the E8. I think UConn goes out early and I am staying as far away from all Big 10 teams (besides OSU) as if they were Tokyo.
- How about those Huskers? Tom Osborne gives Doc Sadler an extension to his contract to stretch him out to 2016 and his Children of the Corn go down to Wichita and gets Malachied by the Wheat Shockers. Getting spanked 76-49 by a non-BCS school is bad enough but Doc chose not to appear on the Husker radio network for his postgame interview. That is about as bush an act as I can think of for a guy making $800K this year to coach lousy basketball. Man up Doc and do the interview – every game.
- I don’t know how this all worked out here in KC but having St. Patrick’s Day, Spring Break, the opening rounds of the NCAA tourney, 75-degree weather and women not wearing parkas all happening on the same day must mean something. I am thinking today is the perfect day to buy that lottery ticket toward retirement.
- I am dining on corned beef for lunch and I’m washing it down with a green McShake from McDonald’s. Enjoy your day and good luck to you and your brackets.
GregHall24@yahoo.com and Twitter / greghall24